News - Winter 2015
All transportation personnel are an invaluable part of the school district structure and, more often than not, the hard work and daily crisis solving goes unnoticed by many. In the spirit of highlighting the valuable role a bus driver plays, I would like to share this link. You may want to start your new year sharing this with all.
Bus drivers can use all of the training, guidance and reminders you can give them. Keep your bus drivers safe by sharing these winter driving tips.
SCHOOL BUS MAINTENANCE IN THE WINTER MONTHS:
The school bus pretrip inspection is always important, but it can be critical inwinter weather.
• During the daily pretrip process, special attention should be paid to all lights,mirrors, gauges, exhaust, suspension, and emergency accessories. A driver should not start a route if a bus problem is detected.
• Windows, headlights, brake lights, turn signals and the eight (8) light system should be cleaned and checked frequently for snow or dirt buildup.
• Check wiper blades and washer fluid levels.
• Check the heater and defroster units for efficient operation.
• Pay special attention to water hoses, belts and radiator hoses.
• Tires should be carefully inspected and properly inflated.
• Fuel level should be kept as close to full as possible and following district procedures.
• Defects should be reported promptly and in writing.
WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS
Basic seasonal driving tips:
• Slow down.
• Accelerate gently and steer smoothly.
• Carefully test your brakes and steering at a very low speed.
• Utilize controlled braking.
• Allow extra time and distance margins.
• Slow down before curves and corners.
• Go down hills in a lower gear.
• Avoid passing unless necessary and then proceed with caution.
Keep it Safe,
Annual Safety Competition
2015 Annual Safety Competition!
Date: Saturday, June 13, 2015
Location: Indiana State Fairgrounds, 1202 East 38th Street, Indianapolis, IN, 46205
2015 Annual Conference
Dates: June 15-17, 2015
Location: Indianapolis Marriott East, 7202 East 21st Street, Indianapolis, IN
Upcoming Workshops and Trainings
2014 Special Needs Training
Information coming up soon.